The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] 2.3.0 - can no longer access QCT files

Something wrong? Report it here
nicjoynson

[closed] 2.3.0 - can no longer access QCT files

Post by nicjoynson »

Im running 2.3.0 on Android 11. Ive been an AlpineQuest user for years but I can no longer access my library of QCT files.

I have a folder containing the QCTs on my SD card as well as a single JPG image. I have enabled access to media, but when I browse using ‘available maps > file based maps > SD Card’, the folder does not show the QCT files, only the single JPG. As a result, I cannot select a QCT file to open it.

If I open the same folder using an Android file browser I can see the QCT files as well as the JPG.

Ive tried copying the QCT to a folder on internal storage with the same result.

I conclude that AlpineQuest is only asking for access to media files and since QCT files are not classed by Android as media files, it cannot see them.

Any suggestions?

Nic
Ari Cooper-Davis

Re: 2.3.0 - can no longer access QCT files

Post by Ari Cooper-Davis »

I too have this issue but with .MBTiles format files (raster). This is a deal-breaker for me. Perhaps the app could copy them to its own storage location (/data/data/com.etc) so that it has access to them?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
If the app cannot access the maps in the current folder where they are, please move them in the "maps" folder inside the application folder ("/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/maps/").
It can be either the application folder on the internal memory, or the application folder on the external SD card.

In order to move the files there, please use a file manager which is compatible with Android 11 and above (X-Plore which I don't personally know seems ok).
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
nicjoynson

Post by nicjoynson »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:07 pm Hi,
If the app cannot access the maps in the current folder where they are, please move them in the "maps" folder inside the application folder ("/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/maps/").
It can be either the application folder on the internal memory, or the application folder on the external SD card.

In order to move the files there, please use a file manager which is compatible with Android 11 and above (X-Plore which I don't personally know seems ok).
Thank you, that resolves my issue.

Nic
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

Hi, I have the same problem (Alpinequest 2.3 and Android 12 Pixel 6).
I have used a 3rd party file manager to put the .qct files in the "maps" folder inside the application folder ("/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/maps/"). Alpinequest does not appear to able to see the .qct files, only showing a jpg image.
Looking at Alpinequest permissions, it only has permission to see media files within its permitted folders, and there is no option to expand this to include other files.
Have I missed out a step or has Alpinequest only requested media permissions from Android ?
Thank you
Jaydee

Post by Jaydee »

Since the upgrade to2.3.0 Alpinequest has stopped reading QCT files on my phone too. Have tried moving files with no effect. Seems like Android 11 is blocking access but not been able to change settings to regain access. Have had many years service from Alpinequest and been very happy with it up till now. Hope you can find a solution to this glitch.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
I'll repeat what I said before:
If the app cannot access the maps in the current folder where they are, please move them in the "maps" folder inside the application folder (which should be something like "/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/maps/").

If the app cannot see the maps in this folder, then it's another problem, because this folder belongs to the app and this one has all the rights in it. Maybe you're not displaying the correct application folder (your maps are in the application folder of the external SD card and you're displaying the application folder of the internal memory or vice versa), maybe it's something else.

After displaying the maps folder with the app's Maps explorer, you can make an error report from the app (main menu -> more -> report errors) so I can check your logs and be more helpful.
Jaydee

Post by Jaydee »

Have moved the files as described but still can't see them, previously worked brilliantly with same files. Error message is "your system prevents usage of this location" wherever I put the files.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If you see the message "your system prevents usage of this location" it means you're not displaying the application folder.
Here is how to do it: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... pplication
Click 1 - 2 - 4 in the screenshot, then select "My onboard maps".
albacore

Post by albacore »

I finally sussed it out. The temptation is to go to file based maps, then browse the SD card for the maps folder.
This does NOT work. And, as already said, if the map files are elsewhere on the SD card, Google won't let you see them.
You have to do Available maps, then My onboard maps (in the SD card section) and you should then be able to see the maps.
It's not very intuitive, in my opinion, but there you go.
I have also tried to put a map in the alpinequest/maps folder, but got no joy with that.
Also, remember the maps will be deleted if you ininstall the app. So I've just bought a 128Gb SD card so I can keep maps in Alpinequest location and have the same maps elsewhere on the SD card for use by another app.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback.
And yes, absolutely, the folder "/Android/data" is protected by Android, however "/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files" is a dedicated one for the AlpineQuest where it has all grants. So you must directly jump into this one by selecting "My onboard maps".
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Here are some additional information on how to access data outside of the application folder on Android 11:
https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... _and_above