The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

How to Navigate to Waypoint

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Bones56k

How to Navigate to Waypoint

Post by Bones56k »

Hi and thanks for Alpine Quest

I have just bought this App today and have a few questions. I have read as many posts as i can hoping to find an answer to my questions and a few i have.

My question is how do you navigate to a way point you have created?.
I open "Orientation" i have the top right of the screen saying "On" and where it states "Target" i have the name of the way point i had saved. Where it states "Dist" i have "0m" even though the way point is 2km away.

Have tried all sorts of things like "Move to" and "Focus" so could you explain the steps please?

I have to admit the first time i told it to "Move to" i thought is this command going to move the way point to some other folder on the phone or SD card. Both my old GPS say "Navigate To"

Thanks in advance
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: How to Navigate to Waypoint

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for using AlpineQuest.

To set a target you have to focus a location just like you did (either save a waypoint or select "focus center" from the landmarks submenu).
Once the target set, the distance and bearing information are computed from the center point of the screen (where a small cross is displayed).

Usually, one will activate the GPS and lock the current GPS location on the center screen point to automatically compute the distance and bearing to the target from the GPS location.

This may seems a little bit more complicated than usual but it allows to compute this navigation data from any point on the map and even if the device doesn't have a GPS sensor.

Let me know if it works has you would expect .
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Bones56k

Post by Bones56k »

Hi and thanks for the reply

I tried to follow your instructions today during a hike with no luck. I had your app running and every 30 minutes i stopped and asked it a fix back to my home (Way Point). Each time it said "0m" in the Orientation screen.

Then finally this afternoon i got it to read the distance to a way point i created called Home.

So you add your "Way Point" as in picture 1 (note when you add it you can set focus when saving it)

Focus means the "Target Way Point to navigate to for example.

Or you can open "Landmarks" (which has your Way Points)

Now go for a walk even 200m away and you can use the "Lock Button" to centre yourself on the screen.

When the "Lock Button" is green it is activated.

I hope this can be used as a quick start guide :D

Cheers
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,
Yes, that's exactly that. Thanks for the screenshots and explanations, AlpineQuest documentation is poor so it should help users.
Let me know if you have other troubles or any questions,
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !