The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Associating gpx files with AlpineQuest

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Searcher2

Associating gpx files with AlpineQuest

Post by Searcher2 »

I've just bought a new phone and I would like to associate gpx (and trk) files with AlpineQuest so that when I look at recorded tracks in file manager I just need to click on them and they open up in AlpineQuest. My old phone did this but I can't remember how I got it to work. Can anyone tell me how to do this if it is possible please? Thanks
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Associating gpx files with AlpineQuest

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You just have to click your GPX file and you'll see the list of applications that can open this type of file.
You can select AlpineQuest and choose "Remember".
If you've already associated another application you must go in your Android settings, inside the application details and select "Clear default".
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Searcher2

Post by Searcher2 »

It seems to depend on the app calling the GPX. When I download a gpx file in Aquamail choosing 'Save and open' it just offers me 'Nova Launcher' and 'Backup/Restore' as apps to open it with.

In Total Commander the app seems to recognise that AlpineQuest can open gpx and trk files...so this work.

In File Manager Pro 'Open with' offers no Apps at all to choose from to open it.

I realise this is not an AlpneQuest issue but I wondered if there was something I could do to get my mobile to universally recognise gpx files are being openable by AlpineQuest.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

AlpineQuest does register itself as being able to read GPX file (along with multiple other files), but if the originating application doesn't correctly check the list of compatible applications there's nothing the we can do...
But you can always import your files from the app as explained in the online help, this way you don't rely on another application: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... export-gen
Searcher2

Post by Searcher2 »

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure there was nothing wrong at AlpineQuest's end but I wondered if there was something I could do on my mobile to set it up to work. Very strange though as AquaMail on my old phone opened gpx files up in AlpineQuest fine but something must have changed as it doesn't on my new phone. At least I know it is App related now and not phone related.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Sure, that was the good thing to ask.
Note that recently Android changed the way apps can share files between them, to improve security and prevent apps to read any files from other apps. All developers must update their apps to share files with the new method (required in all app updates since last November), but some applications may not have been updated recently and still not use the new sharing method, explaining why it was working before and no more now...