The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Displaying local and Bluetooth GPS positions

Any question about the app? Ask it here
srnet

Displaying local and Bluetooth GPS positions

Post by srnet »

I wrote a Arduino application that transmits the GPS co-ordinates of a high altitude balloon tracker with a LoRa transceiver. A LoRa receiver converts the received telemtry and sends it out via Bluetooth as NMEA. This is picked up via Bluetooth GPS mouse and Alpinquest displays the position of the remote tracker when I configure Alpinquest to use 'External Locations'.

This works well enough and I am able to plot balloon tracks over long distances.

Is there a way of having Alpinquest display the positions of the remote tracker (from Bluetooth GPS Mouse) as well as the location derived from the local GPS of the Android tablet ?

This would be handy if your using Alpinquest to search for a 'lost' tracker, you can see where you currently are (on the map) and where the 'lost' tracker is.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Displaying local and Bluetooth GPS positions

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in our application,
Even if the app hasn't been thought this way (the main use is to only track the user hike), you should be able to track your remote ballon and display your current device position (and the few previous locations) at the same time:
- In the "Positioning details" windows (in the main "GPS Position" menu click on "Positioning details") click on the top right settings icon (with the tools). Select the "Outdoor GPS" location source;
- Be sure to have the "External locations" source selected in the Location tracker settings (just like you should have already done).

This way the application will track the external locations from the balloon and display your current GPS location.
Let me know if it wasn't your requested or if it's not working as expected.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
srnet

Post by srnet »

OK, thanks for the information, I set up my tablet (Hudl) as described.

The small 'Outdoor GPS' window on the main map display is showing a fix, and my current position is the blue dot on the map.

I turn start the Bluetooth GPS Mouse service, and when the first fix comes in from the tracker, its displayed on the map, but the local position (from tablets GPS) is no longer updated.

So it looks like that when the 'External Locations' is providing a fix, the 'Outdoor GPS' (local position) is ignored.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Ok I'll make some tests.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
srnet

Post by srnet »

Thanks, It wont be the end of the World if it does not work, but definitely handy.

There are some apps that do this sort of stuff, but I really like the offline maps capability, I would not use an app that requires an always on Internet connection.

And Alpinquest uses the old UK Ordnance Survey maps, which I have, so I call go down to a great deal of detail when searching for a 'lost' tracker/