The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Track Export mystery so advice needed...

Any question about the app? Ask it here
ColytonJohn

[closed] Track Export mystery so advice needed...

Post by ColytonJohn »

I recorded a long track and saved it, or I think I have because I can't locate it!

I 'clicked' on the displayed track, selected Location tracker/Save, entered a name and selected Track (GPX), OK. (Note: NO Export option)

After a while I was told Success and that it had been exported to /storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/landmarks/track_____.trk

So it 'Saved' a .trk file rather than 'Exporting' the .gpx file I intended furthermore the folder string given can't be found by the PC I connect my Nexus to to transfer the track to Memory Map (the /0/ is missing).

I did consider I may be using the free, 'lite' version which appears to have some export limitations (I've been testing various mapping solutions so can't recall) but as I think AQ suits my needs the best I'm more than happy to pay for it but my version lacks the Registration option on the 'More' menu suggesting I have, indeed, the full version.

Any thoughts please on what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Track Export mystery so advice needed...

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
You're export process is correct.
Can you tell me which version do you have? The last one (and recommended to use) is the 1.4.22.
It seems you're using an old (hacked?) version. You're using a paid one, otherwise you couldn't start the Location tracker.

If you plug your device in your PC, you'll just have to locate the "/alpinequest/..." folder. The "/0/" is a weird Android naming system only visible from your device.
Note that if you want to display your track in MM, you'll need to have an exported GPX file anyway.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ColytonJohn

Post by ColytonJohn »

Hi,

That was nice and quick, many thanks!

I am using 1.4.22

I have located the landmarks folder by omitting the /0/ and of interest is that it already contains some files (GPX, TRK, KMZ and KML). I can tell from their name that they're ones I must have created so are presumably from an earlier test of all the export options. Sadly the one I'm attempting to export isn't among them but I clearly have been successful in the past yet not now.

Thanks again for the quick reply, it was greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Here is the link for the online help on this subject.
You can export you track another time if you haven't cleared the tracker data.
I can only conform that there is no known issue in 1.4.22 for track exports.
If you don't succeed in exporting your GPX track, you can make an error report from the app (Main menu -> More -> Report errors).
Best regards
ColytonJohn

Post by ColytonJohn »

Hi Admin, thanks for the link.

I took a look at it and can confirm I still only see Save and Clear options on the Location Tracker screen (no Export) so raised an error report as suggested.

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again
The "save" button is the same then the "export" one. It has been renamed in the last version.
ColytonJohn

Post by ColytonJohn »

Renaming the function does explain it yet, while using Save does return a 'Success' message, none of the files I've created (gpx and kml) can be found by either navigation or search. Files from previous tests some months ago are found so it has worked in the past but seemingly not now. Maybe clutching at straws here but is there a size limitation? The track I'm trying to save will be quite large as it was recorded over several days.

I really do want to persevere with this as AQ is far and away the best mapping for Android I've tested (largely due to the ability to import maps from Memory Map) and want to be in a position to recommend it to my members yet the ability to record and export tracks is essential.

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Yes you're completely right the track recording and export and one of the main feature, but we'll manage to figure out what's happening.

Can you:
- Press the "Save" button, and select the GPX format;
- Close the tracker window, and make an error report like you did before.
Even if everything seems to be working fine (no error raised), I'll be able to check the export export file (and check it's correctly exported in the GPX format).

Sorry for all these disagreements
ColytonJohn

Post by ColytonJohn »

Hi, done that!

Thanks again for patience in dealing with this.

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thanks for the error report.

From what I can see, the export is successful. You have exported your track in the AlpineQuest landmark folder: "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/landmarks/", one GPX copy ("track_20150605_235934_wales-03.gpx") and one KML copy ("track_20150606_000631_wales-03.kml").

Using any file explorer on your device (like the default included one "Files" or "My files"), you should be able to browse this folder and see the file. You can also use the AlpineQuest landmarks explorer.
Please check the files from your device first before connecting your device on your computer, since the sync (list of files really on the device and the ones visible from the PC) can take some time.

Let me know
ColytonJohn

Post by ColytonJohn »

Thanks for your patience Admin. I've been away and have only just been able to test this but I'm sorry to report I still have a problem even though it may be nothing to do with AQ.

Using Android app 'File Explorer' I searched my Nexus for the 'missing' files and located them all so AQ is saving them correctly as your analysis of the error report suggested it is.

However, I still can't navigate to them or locate with a search and have tried two different PCs with different versions of Windows and even different USB cables.

The path of: "/storage/emulated/0/alpinequest/landmarks/" ends before the /0/ folder (or rather it continues without it with .../legacy/viewranger/...) so it does seem to be Windows inability to penetrate the Android /0/ folder.

Not sure how to interpret your sync list comment as I've always seen (or believed I was seeing) any non PC device connected via USB as a simple remote drive so anticipated the same would be true in this case.

Still mystified I'm afraid :-(

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The "/storage/emulated/0/" is the name of your device storage space, from your android device.
If you plug your device in your PC, the name is different, it will simply be something like "Android phone" or "Samsung ..." or something like this. Inside this folder (displayed like an USB key), you'll see the "alpinequest/" folder.
Also, if your device has both an internal storage and an external one (like a Micro SD), be careful to search in the correct one. For info, your files are in the device storage, and not the external one.
Let me know
ColytonJohn

Post by ColytonJohn »

I'm very pleased to say I have finally managed to locate them from a PC. As far as I can tell all I did differently was to reboot the Nexus!

Many, many thanks for your time spent resolving this.

Cheers,
John
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No problem for the support!
Great its fine now, thanks for the feedback!
Best regards