The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Display OFF stops GPS tracking

Something wrong? Report it here
adainis

[closed] Display OFF stops GPS tracking

Post by adainis »

I have a new Galaxy Tab A tablet and have installed the full version of AlpineQuest. Whenever the Display turns off the GPS stops and the location has to be reacquired when the Display is turned back on. Tracking continues but there are no waypoints between the OFF and ON of the Display. Is there some Setting to fix this problem that I seem to be missing?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Display OFF stops GPS tracking

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

When you're displaying your GPS location on the map but not tracking, then it's normal that the GPS does stop when you turn off the screen. The application stops the GPS when screen is off to save your battery. You can disable this feature from the application settings (the almost last setting).

When you're tracking it's different. The tracking is made by a separate light process (so you can close the main app and the tracking continues in the background). This tracking process won't (of course) stop the GPS when you turn the screen off.

If you encounter issues, it can be because you use a "cleaner" application that kills other apps when you turn the screen off.
Let me know if it doesn't help.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

The Doze feature of Marshmallow may also turn off the GPS unless configured otherwise. You can control this behaviour with the useful ForceDoze app.
adainis

Post by adainis »

Thank you for your prompt response. I have turned off the "Disable in background" option, which I had missed, and now it does not require the GPS location to be reacquired (red indicator) on turning the Display back ON. However, the recording of track locations still stops when the Display goes OFF either automatically or manually. I can look at the track points recorded in the file and there are time gaps whenever the Display is not ON. When I turn the Display back ON I get two sound signals (bad followed by a good tone).
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Do you have any "device cleaner / optimizer" application running?
What Android version are you running?
adainis

Post by adainis »

I have tried to turn off anything related to power optimization, and I have not installed any other applications. The Android version is 6.0.1 ,
and the tablet is model SM-T580. I have been able to record tracks by setting "Screen always on" and then dimming the Display to save battery and using the "Lock screen". But this is not very optimal. Thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

No you're right this is not optimal...
Can you contact me by email: contact [at] psyberia.net
Best regards
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi again,
Did you get my answer to the private message you sent me?
adainis

Post by adainis »

No, I do not believe that have I received a response. If you sent one, you might try again.