The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[resolved] Can't transfer maps to new SD card

Something wrong? Report it here
Caryllb

[resolved] Can't transfer maps to new SD card

Post by Caryllb »

I have many maps that I previously downloaded for use off-line. I am now trying to upgrade to a new SD card and am having trouble with the data transfer. Here's what I have:

Motorola moto G4 running Android 7.0
AlpinQuest version 2.1.1d

Here's what I've done:

1. Moved the entire psyberia.alpinequest.full folder over to my laptop directly from the SD card (not using the phone interface).
2. Uninstalled Alpine Quest from the phone.
3. Verified that the psyberia.alpinequest.full folder was deleted everywhere
4. Installed my new SD card in the phone and reinstalled Alpine Quest.
5. Started Alpine Quest and used the settings menu to switch the application path to "/storage/AAF-D74C/Android/data/psyberia.alpinequest.full/files/"
6. Attached the phone to the laptop and copied the original psyberia.alpinequest.full folder to the Android/data folder on the SD card. The full path shown on the laptop is Moto G(4)/SanDisk SD Card/Android/Data/psyberia.alpinequest.full. If I list the properties of the "files" folder I show it has 84 files, 9 folders, with a total of 6.76 GB.
7. Verified that all files transferred to the phone using the phone installed Astro File Manager App

When I enter Alpine Quest to check on the downloaded maps they don't appear. Using the "File Based Maps" option under the Available Maps menu I tap on the SD Card and then "Android", "Data", "psyberia.alpinequest.full", and "files"
I see the datastore folder which says it has 3 folders and 59 files. It is supposed to have 3 folders and 81 files.
When I tap on "datastore" I see 3 folders "builtin-maps" (4 files), "builtin-previews" (15 files), and "dem"(3 files) plus 6 additional files located in the datastore folder.

What I should have is a whole bunch more files in that datastore folder. For some reason Alpinequest is not recognizing that these files exist. These have names such as "USGS.AQX.USGSCTL.DAT", "USGS.AQX.USGSCTL.IDX", "USGS.AQX.USGSCTL.PREVIEW".

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to download all these maps again.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Can't transfer maps to new SD card

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
I would have done the exact same thing...
Have you tried to restart your device after copying the file? Android does index all newly copied files before showing them, restarting the device will force that.
Also:
- In the maps explorer, AlpineQuest will only show the number of files and folder immediately inside this folder, it does not count items recursively like when you display the properties of a folder in your Windows file explorer.
- The ".../files/datastore/" is not supposed to contains a lot of files (10 max), stored maps will be in the sub-folders called "builtin-maps" (pre-installed maps) or "custom-maps" (maps you've added from the "add more maps" list).
- When you select a map, its full path will be displayed in the logs file. You can tap the main app menu -> More -> Report errors and tap its name to display it or tap "Ok" to send it so I can have a look (I know where to look at).

Sorry for the troubles
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
ds47uk

Post by ds47uk »

What I did when starting off with a new tablet was install the maps through the "add map" feature as though I was starting from nothing, and then open each map. This creates almost empty dummy files. Then I transferred my backups to overwrite these tiny dummy files. Eveything worked OK first tiime.

Hope this helps
David
Caryllb

Re: Can't transfer maps to new SD card (Solved)

Post by Caryllb »

Thanks David. That worked. I discovered that the files on my first SD card were located in the wrong folder. They were in the upper "datastore" folder rather than in the "Built-in" and "custom" subfolders. Also, the USGS files were incorrectly named. They all had something like USGS.AQX.USGS...... rather than just USGS...... After correcting those names and moving the files to correct subfolders I got it to work. So now I'm good to go.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Ok great!
Thank you for your help David.
1994mist

Post by 1994mist »

Hi,
I have been an advocate and a user of Alpine quest for some years. I have a Samsung A41 phone and keep qct files on an SD card and the files path is: SDcard/alpinequest/maps. I have had no problems with accessing the maps. However, my wife has recently acquired a similar phone and copied the same file structure onto her SD card and put the sd card in her new phone. We then loaded alpinequest Lite ( I wanted to check it worked before purchasing another license) but was unable to read the map files. Indeed the software seems unable to find the files, even though they are definitely there. Not quite sure what to do. From the other posts here should I rename the folders/paths…etc . What I don’t understand how it works on my phone but the identical file structure will not work on hers. A simple explanation of what to do would be appreciated
Brgds
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Please open a new discussion for any new problem, avoid using one that is a few years old.
Now, here is the explanation: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... _and_above
rashid

Re: [resolved] Can't transfer maps to new SD card

Post by rashid »

hi there, I had some similar sort of problem but these solutions are not working, I had a Samsung tab and alpine pro was downloaded in it, got a new phone and downloaded alpine pro in it as well
I have downloaded maps of 20GB in my tablet and when I copied it in my phone they aren't showing , I copied it the same path as mentioned but still no luck.
now the error is the storage is not writable, help would be highly appreciated
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Hi,
Can you please send an error report from the app (main menu -> More -> Report errors) so I can check what's happening.
François
rashid

Post by rashid »

sent, i really appreciate your quick response
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thank you , I've seen the report.
I can see that you have more than 2GB of hybrid map stored, so I assume this data comes from your tablet?
You can open the maps explorer (maps menu -> Available maps), tap the top/left menu icon to display the left drawer menu and select "Installed maps" under "On-demand Maps". There, you'll see how much data is stored for each map.
Note that you have to display the map again, maps are not displayed automatically.