The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Dashboard (odometer)?

Any question about the app? Ask it here
alexlong

Dashboard (odometer)?

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

There is a question from a 4pda.ru (4pda.to) user:
I need to see on the sсreen not only the speed, but also the distance traveled, as in the odometer on the car. With the ability to reset the daily mileage. I use the AppineQuest app on a boat with a motor. Is there a solution?
I offered him to record tracks and use this info but it is not the solution.
So I would like to propose you to add another window to the Exlporer mode and name it as you like:

Digital Dashboard
Dashboard
Speed ​​tracker
Speedometer
Odometer

I thought it might also be useful when walking, running, and so on.

In fact, it may look like DONE SO FAR window with the START button to activate the digital dashboard (or speed tracker...) and STOP. It may use all available Explorer mode data and display it on the screen.
Dashboard.jpg
(88.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It would be nice if this mode worked independently of DONE SO FAR mode, that is, so that you could record a track and simultaneously get information from the Dashboard. I may stop recording a track but continue getting data from the Dashboard and vice versa.

It would also be nice to provide the ability to save data from the Dashboard (optionally) in some populaк format as *.txt or a kind of this when the STOP button is pressed.
What do you think about this?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Dashboard (odometer)?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Alex and sorry for the delay.
Unfortunately I don't think I can add a kind of second track recorder in the application. It would lead to too much confusion for most users, and ask a lot of questions about the record frequency of this second track recorder, when to stop it, when to start it, when to reset it, etc.

However:
- In the "Real-time location" panel of the explorer mode, you can already display the speed information. I can add the ability to display information about the recorded distance too;
- I can add alternative behavior to the track recorder, like a "dash recorder mode", which when activated, turn on the track recording when you start the application, and stop the track recording when you close the application. It has been requested long time ago, and I've recently re-thinked about this feature and may try to add it.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

I didn't mean the second track recorder. My thought was to make an option (window), as it is implemented in special applications that can be found in Google Play → Example Odometer , Examples Dashboard
That is, not to record a track, but to receive statistics in real time with the ability to save data if necessary.
Do I understand it right that all such applications simply record data as if they were recording a track?

- In the "Real-time location" panel of the explorer mode, you can already display the speed information. I can add the ability to display information about the recorded distance too;
That's fine but it works untill you stops the applicatiuon. Imagine I want to know the distance etc. made during a day (a hike), but I turned on and off the application from time to time. I will see only the last time informatiom.

But if it leads to too much confusion for most users maybe you are right.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

If you want to have an odometer that give you the instant GPS speed, then it's already available.
In the first panel of the dashboard from the left ("Real time position"), you can display only the "Speed" value.

If you want that the application record some data, even when it's closed, then you must use a track recorder. Call it like you want, but it's a "process" that record your location and speed values even when the main application is closed. No application can do that with having a system notification always displayed (like it's the case when the AQ track recorder is started).
This is already available too (the track recorder). In the 3rd panel from the left, you can display the "Done so far" value which give the length of the track since the start (ie since you reset the odometer).

If you want to be able to display both values in the same panel, I can add this for the next update.

If you want that the track recorder starts automatically when the application is started and stops automatically when the application is closed, I can do this too.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

Hi, François.

I started voting on the 4pda forum in the topic about AlpineQuest – To add the "Odometer" section to the application?
Answers:
❶ Yes
❷ No
❸ I don't care

At the moment (7 days after the start of voting) 55 votes are cast

❶ Yes-37 (67%)
❷ No - 5 (10%)
❸ I don't care 13 (23%)

The voting is not over yet, or rather, I did not stop it. As you can see, users would like to have the Odometer in the application.
Screenshot_1.png
(8.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Thanks.
alexlong

Post by alexlong »

70 votes are at the moment (16.09.2021)

❶ Yes-47 (67%)
❷ No - 6 (8.5%)
❸ I don't care 17 (24.5%)
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Thank you for the poll Alex.
I'm afraid 2/3 of users won't be happy then :?
Let's say this feature is important and should be added, I won't be able to work on this soon anyway based on how much features are waiting...