The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

More compact view for the Dynamic profile Window (Or possibility to resize it)

Any question about the app? Ask it here
tallowcatch

More compact view for the Dynamic profile Window (Or possibility to resize it)

Post by tallowcatch »

Hello,
I have newly discovered AlpineQuest and I must say it clearly one of the best mapping apps (and I have tried most of them) out there so I really like it so far.

But there is one gripe that annoys me.. I like use the height profile in conjunction with the map, as it give you valuable information where you are on given track and to estimate trekking times etc.
The problem with AlpineQuest is just that it takes up too much of screen space. Currently about 50% of the screen, and of this 50% is just dead space giving no or very little information. See uploaded images.

So I propose a more "compact" and smarter view of the Dynamic profile window, designed to be used more or less permanently as you are using the app. Other takes on this could be to make it translucent or re-sizable. but I think a "compact" or "compressed" view would be the best.
Other mapping apps have a more forgiving view of the height profile that only takes up about ~20% or less of the screen which is enough as shown below on the screenshots.

Compared to other apps (Routes and GPX Viewer)
ImageImage
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: More compact view for the Dynamic profile Window (Or possibility to resize it)

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your interest in this application and feedback.

The good news is that the ability to resize side views is planned, it's just a matter of time (that is terribly missing).
So users will be able to reduce the ratio of view used by the dynamic profile, that will be great! Until then you may try to set it in landscape mode, as far as I remember the profile view is smaller in this mode.

However (the bad news?) is that for tracks with a small amplitude of elevation, you'll still have a top and bottom "dead" space.
This is because the elevation profile view amplitude cannot be less than 300m, in order to display flat tracks as flat lines. We believe that if you display the elevation profile of a track that is almost flat, the line should be almost flat but not fill the space from the bottom to the top.
So to change this a dynamic resizing of the elevation profile view is needed, but this is quite complex because you can also choose to display the speed profile or any other information which do not have a dead space... So right now I don't have any solution :?
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !