The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Network or GPS location source

Any question about the app? Ask it here
marcs

Network or GPS location source

Post by marcs »

Hi,
On previous versions of alpinequest there was a message telling the user to activate the GPS if it wasn't. It doesn't behave like that on my Xiaomi redmi 6. Is that a desired feature?

I noticed that when the GPS is not working, then location data is obtained from the network or wifi. The problem I am sometimes facing is that location source remains network for a long time (minutes) after I activated localization in alpinequest (with GPS activated of course). Is there a way to force alpinequest to try to use GPS data ?
Thank you,
Marc
OlivDSP

Re: Network or GPS location source

Post by OlivDSP »

hello,
If I have understand well you question, you can do that.
on the tool bar you have the GPS logo, so clic on it. after thatyou make a long press on localisation GPS (the word, not the cursor).
so you are in the steup of AQM GPS, clic the weel ans steup the source of localisation.

Is that what you wanted?
marcs

Post by marcs »

Hello,
Thanks. Thie configuration you propose is useful to avoid that localization source remains the network. However I would have preferred to keep the option to use automatically network data if GPS data is not available. I would just like AQ to try to switch immediately to GPS whenever it is available. Not sure if it is in the hands of AQ!

About the first part of my post: do you experience the same behavior?
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

You can choose your location source at two difference level:
- In your Android settings, you can choose only Network, only GPS or both. The application cannot change this;
- In the application, where you can choose only GPS (if activated above), only Network (if activated above), or both (if at least one of them is activated).
When you use Both, the application will use the first available location (usually from the network which is faster), then use the GPS location when available and more precise than the GPS location, but it can take a long time depending on various factors.
If you want to force GPS, then select GPS source only in the application. You'll then have a message if the GPS is not activated at the Android level.
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
marcs

Post by marcs »

Very good explanation. Now it's clear !
Thanks