The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Tracking and Maps

Any question about the app? Ask it here
easycass

Tracking and Maps

Post by easycass »

Greetings...

Firstly, as I am sure every user here has said many times, your product is very good. I have had the top version of AlpineQuest Off-Road Explorer for years, and while I do use other apps for on-road navigation, I will tend to use AQ when away from civilisation. If I may ask for some future features that may or may not have been asked for before now: -

Tracking

If tracking is running for many days, or even continuously, it would be good to get at the data file during that period. Therefore, the following is suggested: -

1. Tracking Restart - An option that when the device is rebooted, if tracking was enabled prior to that reboot, that tracking automatically starts up again when the reboot is finished.
2. Tracking File Save Frequency - An option to set a period whereby the current tracking file is written to the save location.
3. Tracking File Size - An option to allow one to specify the period that a new tracking file is started.
4. Track Upload - An option to upload the data periodically to say a Dropbox, GoogleDrive, OneDrive, URL, or email account.

So, if one specifies a LOGGING time of 1 minute, a SAVE interval of 1 hour, a NEW FILE interval of one day, and an UPLOAD interval of 2 hours, this would mean the position data file containing positions every minute is updated each hour on the device, with a new time-stamped file created at the start of each day, and is uploaded to the Cloud every two hours.

I currently use an app called GPSLogger for Android, which has all of the above abilities, although instead of using its inbuilt function to upload the datafile periodically, I use DropSync to synchronise the datafile with my DropBox account, essentially a continuously updated archive of everywhere I have been.

Map Data

1. OSM Maps Download - The ability to download areas at a certain detail level is a very good system in the current software. However, much software allows OSM data to be downloaded a full country at a time. It would be great to be able to either access to this already downloaded data if possible, or at least within AlpineQuest, have the ability to specify whole countries of map data to download, rather than by area alone.

Anyway, just ideas, and I can of course continue doing what I am doing now, but thought I would add the above to your (likely long) list of requests! Go well... Cass.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Tracking and Maps

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi and thanks for your support and feedback. Sorry for the delay.
For the track recorder:
Over the next versions, the track recorder will be improved and simplified. I'll try to include at least point 1) and 2). I'll see for 3) but nothing sure.
For 4), I think your current method of the best, this way each user can can choose which cloud to use, and right now I put priority on feature not requiring Internet access.
For the map data:
This has been requested a few times already but unfortunately I don't think it will be available. Pre-made maps are good for apps that only use one single dataset (ie OSM data), but here there are thousands of maps available. Also, pre-made maps cannot be updated as it is the case here, and use a lot of space.
But you can still pre-made large maps using MOBAC.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
easycass

Re: Tracking and Maps

Post by easycass »

Hi there, and thank you so much for your reply. I understand all your points, still happy to continue using things as is, and look forward to your refinements in the future. I appreciate your response. Go well, Cass.