The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

3D map feature request

Any question about the app? Ask it here
kingFu

3D map feature request

Post by kingFu »

Hi,
Please add 3D map view feature. AlpineQuest already has elevations well integrated now. The really missing feature is 3D map view on any displayed map using elevation data.
I know tens of people who use other map software like oruxmaps only for this feature.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: 3D map feature request

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Yes this is the next step.
But right now I cannot give any release date...
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello and thanks again for this great app !

I support also strongly this 3D feature.
For me, currently, i use the elevation data for France (about 2.3 Go/1").
The files are available by 1" or 3" precision and works fine in AlpineQuest for complete offline utilisation.
If these data files could be used for display a 3D map it should be the next bigger feature since a long time.
I know also that it's a big task with OpenGL " rendering integration, but imagine the result with this additionnal tool … :D

Regards,
Sam
boowoo

Post by boowoo »

Hello,
I would like to share some thoughts about tracks in future 3D mode in AlpineQuest.

For most of 3D apps, hiking tracks are displayed OK on 3D maps because tracks are sticked on the ground ; it's normal behaviour.
Problems begins when you want to display tracks recorded in "air" for example for aerial activities (paraglide, etc, …) the tracks are displayed the same without any reality !

It should be important to show the "air" tracks like the picture attached with a special "flying mode" in AQ.

Some times ago, i've made a small simple video showing this at 0:58 (video made to help a dev friend)

Do you think if it's possible to get the same (or better ..) in AQ when you'll implemente the 3d map feature ?
Regards,
Sam
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

I'm sorry Sam but I'll disappoint you.
3D would be nice, but if one day it's available in the app, it won't be before one year or more.
I'm glad to see that people like to use the app beyond what it's intended to do, but I simply cannot keep the pace in all directions.
AlpineQuest cannot become a flight simulator or something like that. Even if I wish it could.
There are already various apps with 3D maps, if that what you need you should go with them, because I cannot make any promise 3D will be ever available in AlpineQuest...

ps: everytime I look at the waiting features list, I'm on the verge of depression, so you must take care of me! :)
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
boowoo

Re : demande de fonctionnalité carte 3D

Post by boowoo »

No problem, i promise to take care of you. ;)

In all case, currently i use ElevMaps like a free 3D extension in AQ . If anyone needs i can share my experience for this.
It's great, because AlpineQuest permit it (Shortcut of any app in menu and direct access by the AQ tools "Open with" on the map)
The only negative point is that i have to store more maps in a different format, but with our "big" phones, now it's not really a problem !

Thanks again for AlpineQuest