The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Following routes

Any question about the app? Ask it here
DerekM

Following routes

Post by DerekM »

I have been using Alpine Quest for several years, and have been very happy using it as an electronic version of my paper maps. If I can solve the problem of the battery life of my phone with additional powerbanks etc I will use Alpine Quest as my only walking gps app.
There are a few things about using it to follow routes that I think could be improved to make it even better, unless anybody can tell how to do these things with it already.
I like to use Proximity Alarms to warm me I am reaching a choice in direction etc, these currently have to be entered manually when following the route. I would like to enter these during the planning stage and have them saved with the route so I don't have to do it at the time of the walk.
I also have a Garmin and a satmap I use to record track info to preserve the battery life of my phone, and both of these have better ways of displaying information such as distance to next waypoint, eta to end of route etc, I think a separate page to view this allowing larger text would be better, also giving the user the option of what information to display would be good.
When planning a route for a map based gps, I have to create dozens of way points to get the route to follow the desired path, however the information of say distance to next waypoint is irelevant for most of these waypoints, the introduction of a Significant Waypoint in addition to general waypoints would be very useful. The distance to next way point could then be based on the next significant waypoint rather than the next bend in the path.
Thanks for all the work in creating this very useful App.
Yemble

Re: Following routes

Post by Yemble »

I like the idea of significant waypoints. Maybe these could be displayed with either a different coloured dot, and/or a dot of a different shape, eg. square, triangle or star.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The "significant waypoints" already exist. Just create a route instead of a path and follow it.
The application will target the next waypoint on the route, and automatically switch to the next one when the "follow distance threshold" is reached.
And in the explorer mode you can get all the info for the current next waypoint.
Let me know if I don't clearly understand what you mean.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 pm Hi,
The "significant waypoints" already exist. Just create a route instead of a path and follow it.
The application will target the next waypoint on the route, and automatically switch to the next one when the "follow distance threshold" is reached.
And in the explorer mode you can get all the info for the current next waypoint.
Let me know if I don't clearly understand what you mean.
Best regards
That's not how I read it...

If there are numerous waypoints on a route, for example if you plot it to closely follow the contours of a path on the map, then the distance between consecutive waypoints can end up being minimal. In this case, you may want just one significant waypoint for every ten plotted waypoints, for example.
martindg

Post by martindg »

What I was talking about was I would class waypoints used to just make a route follow a non straight route as being routing point rather than a true waypoint, ie a point at which a navigational decision needs to be made, or there is some significant feature i want to pass through. The distance to the next bend in the path is generally of no interest, and there may be dozens of such points in a route, the distance to a significant waypoint is of great interest, ie distance to the next junction of a couple of paths.