The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

UK TOPO Maps disappeared?

It's all about maps...
markflip

UK TOPO Maps disappeared?

Post by markflip »

This morning I downloaded an area on my phone from the UK Explorer map ready for a holiday, came to do it on my wife's and the UK TOPO map had disappeared from the list of local maps, when I rechecked my phone it wasn't there any more either. Hopefully this isn't permament???
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: UK TOPO Maps disappeared?

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
This maps has been removed from the application for copyright reasons.
Since this map is available on Bing Maps, you can add it manually (at your own responsibility), by suggesting the map
"www.bing.com/maps/#os".
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Re: UK TOPO Maps disappeared?

Post by Yemble »

markflip wrote:This morning I downloaded an area on my phone from the UK Explorer map ready for a holiday, came to do it on my wife's and the UK TOPO map had disappeared from the list of local maps, when I rechecked my phone it wasn't there any more either. Hopefully this isn't permament???
There are some lessons to be learnt here...

1) Never use the default Google MarketPlace installation for AQ. If you do use the default folders and (for whatever reason) you uninstall AQ, then Google will wipe out all of your data as well!
2) Always keep a copy of your important cached maps on an external storage location, eg. a PC. This way, if things get screwed up on your phone, you have a recovery point.
3) Do not rely on the availability of on-line Community Maps, especially ones on the fringes of legality, as you have discovered, these can be revoked without prior warning. Instead, build up a permanent, comprehensive, off-line cache.

What you need to get your OSGB maps working again is a copy of your original COM.4.AQX map meta-file and a template database of COM.4.AQX.MSOS.* files. These can be copied from any working AQ installation. The COM.4.AQX file will probably require tweaking and you will also require a BING user key.

If you have a BING key (from here: https://www.bingmapsportal.com/), then I can tell you exactly how to configure the COM.4.AQX file.

Depending upon your phone capabilities, I would personally recommend investing in a 128Gb microSD and build up an off-line OSGB map cache for the entire UK, then you will never get stitched up in this manner ever again. Lots of info here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2177
Toïs

Re: [sticky] UK TOPO Maps disappeared?

Post by Toïs »

Hi
OS streetview section in COM.4.AQX doesn't work anymore. Got
301 moved permanently
error code. Changed the URL to

Code: Select all

https://b.os.openstreetmap.org/layer/gb_os_sv_2016_04/{$z}/{$x}/{$y}.png
but get the same error. Strangely enough, the request does work in the web-browser.

Greetings
Toïs
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi Toïs,
Your update seems correct.
If you manually updated the file, be sure to restart the app so the change can be taken into account.
Also, be sure that you're correcting the file used (you can try to change the name to see if it's updated in the app).
Hope it helps
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Toïs

Post by Toïs »

Ok,

forgot the 's' on https. :geek:
thx.