The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

Compass shows incorrect direction

Any question about the app? Ask it here
sonik90

Compass shows incorrect direction

Post by sonik90 »

It must be a hardware glitch with my phone because the compass is inaccurate. Is there a way to use movement to help influence compass direction? I think Google Maps has this feature because it seems to correct itself when I'm on the go. Thanks.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: Compass shows incorrect direction

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,

While the compass is turned on, turn your device in the air in all directions to calibrate it.

But you can also use your movement to get your direction. You need to activate the GPS location and move for some seconds.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !

Post by Guest »

I have GPS enabled and tried the figure 8 calibration technique.

While walking straight down the road the compass points about 30 degrees off the direction I'm going.

I think it's a hardware glitch with my phone. North and South are somewhat accurate, East is about 10 degrees off, West is about 30 degrees off. And it's consistently wrong all the time.

It doesn't seem like Alpine Quest factors in the direction of my movement to assist the compass? Is there an option? I have the lite version at the moment, deciding on buying the full version soon.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi again,

No unfortunately you won't be able to use the compass with your movement, it's only used to show your real-time direction on the map.

You can still try to used another direction sensor as explained here: https://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/ ... sor_issues
Some devices have various sensors which can be used independently to get your orientation, maybe one will work better than the others.

Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !