The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] Open with...

Any question about the app? Ask it here
Ukopta

[closed] Open with...

Post by Ukopta »

This is one of my favourite features, but when I use 'Other application' and 'Navigation (Option)' I would like the ability to either see the pop up with app choices every time or set it to last used.

At the moment I only get to choose once after activation of AQ. Apologies if I've missed something.
Yemble

Re: Open with...

Post by Yemble »

I concur. The problem with using Google's "open as default" method is that is then difficult to pick a different app to that same task at a later date. It would be far better to have a way of clearing the default behaviour for a given app within AQ.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
Unfortunately AlpineQuest can't clear applications chosen by default (it's technically possible but requires new permissions that I don't want to add to the application). Android assigns the default choice itself, AlpineQuest is not aware if the user will be asked to choose or if had already chosen a default application for a particular action.
You can always clear the choice you've made from the Android settings, select the application you've chosen by default and click on "Clear default". Then, you can are asked to chose again, do not click on "Remember", but either "Only once" or simply double-click the chose application.
Anyway I'll try to add a new "Open with..." -> "Other application (with choice)" item to force the choice, but I won't be able to do it for Navigation...
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:59 pm Hi,
Unfortunately AlpineQuest can't clear applications chosen by default (it's technically possible but requires new permissions that I don't want to add to the application). Android assigns the default choice itself, AlpineQuest is not aware if the user will be asked to choose or if had already chosen a default application for a particular action.
You can always clear the choice you've made from the Android settings, select the application you've chosen by default and click on "Clear default". Then, you can are asked to chose again, do not click on "Remember", but either "Only once" or simply double-click the chose application.
Anyway I'll try to add a new "Open with..." -> "Other application (with choice)" item to force the choice, but I won't be able to do it for Navigation...
Best regards
With regard to the "Other Application" option on the new "Custom item" menu (which I like 8-) ). Would it be possible to add a sub-menu to give the option of passing the GPS coordinates to the chosen app? This would allow more than one app to be used for, say, navigation, eg. TomTom or OSMAND+. I currently have TT as the device default.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

It's already the case, all the applications listed when you select "Open with: Other application" are the ones that can handle a coordinates.
Ukopta

Post by Ukopta »

Hi,
Sorry I didn't realise it was an OS function. I can only set the default in 6.0.1 on my S5 now, but I'm happy there is a way to clear it (with the app permissions as is) for the odd occasion I might want to stray from TomTom Go.

Thanks.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

Psyberia-Support wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:51 pm It's already the case, all the applications listed when you select "Open with: Other application" are the ones that can handle a coordinates.
Sorry, but that is simply not the case with the "Other Application" icon list (at the bottom of the Custom Icon menu).

However, the new "Open with..." option does pass co-ordinates and gives the user a choice of which app to use via an icon menu. Not quite what I had in mind, but it works well enough and is perfectly OK for my needs. :D
Meuser

Post by Meuser »

Yemble wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 am I concur. The problem with using Google's "open as default" method is that is then difficult to pick a different app to that same task at a later date. It would be far better to have a way of clearing the default behaviour for a given app within AQ.
Yes I noticed this too Yemble. It's a right hassle. I like your idea of a workaround though.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

The "Other application" group at the end of the list only display all application installed on the device.
Obviously, you cannot give any location to those apps (Torch, Camera, Email, etc).

If you want to give a location, you must use the "Open with" -> "Other application" option. Here, you'll have the list of all applications that can handle a location (like Maps, Navigation, Earth, etc).