The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] SLOW, and I mean, slow, map downloads

Any question about the app? Ask it here
drm

[closed] SLOW, and I mean, slow, map downloads

Post by drm »

Please answer this question: Why do the OfflineMaps maps seem to download at below old audio-modem speeds? For instance, I'm currently *trying* to download a map (Mapnik) and the speed has been 7Kb/sec (for a 1 GB file, forget it!). Generally my OfflineMaps map download speeds are in the 5Kb - 30Kb/sec range!! The problem is not on my end. My cable-modem has been tested round-trip at 60Mb/sec.
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: SLOW, and I mean, slow, map downloads

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
It depends on a lot of things but mainly the speed between you (your device) and the Internet, and the current load on the remote map server.
If you download very detailed images (like zoom 17 and more), the remote server may not have them cached and will require more time for the generation.
The write speed on your SD card (or device) may also be the cause, for example if you have other processes reading/writing at the same time (like an antivirus auto checking files, your media manager updating your library, etc...).
As a test, you can try to store the default map (Open Map Roads), zoom 1-16. I usually get speeds around 600KB/s.
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !