The support forum is temporarily read-only. For urgent requests, please email contact[at]psyberia.net

[closed] The Scale Bar in v.2

Any question about the app? Ask it here
eas

[closed] The Scale Bar in v.2

Post by eas »

Is anyone else finding the new-look scale bar in v.2 very offputting?

I will refrain from commenting on the loss of the black/white striped bar which I found more visible in the field.
The information box containing the scale bar also contains the current zoom level. I use this info when out and about to keep mobile data use to a minimum (let's assume I do have a mobile signal) by not zooming in too far when I know I don't have the offline maps on my SD card.

As you zoom in and out with + and - the zoom level (e.g. 8/11, 9/11, 10/11 etc.) is reported in the information box. Sometimes it is under the scale bar, other times it is to the right of the scale bar. And because the scale bar changes length the zoom level info is hopping about all over the place.

Would it be possible to right-justify the zoom level within the information box to stop it jumping around?

Thanks,

eas
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Re: The Scale Bar in v.2

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
If you do not display the map name along with the scale (there is an option to disable this), then the zoom level will always remain on the first line and won't jump on the other one.
In the new update you'll also be able to make the white background transparent (or use any color).
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
eas

Post by eas »

I know that.

Can you not make the display a bit more visually consistent when map name is displayed? Seems a bit perverse to have the zoom level hiding within the scale ruler, then hopping outside the ruler at the next zoom level, only to hop back under the ruler at the next level.

If I do not display both the map name and zoom level I do not know whether I am using the offline maps I downloaded. I could be using mobile data (assuming I have a signal).
eas
Scottish Highlands, UK
--
AlpineQuest 1.4.22 and 1.4.22b
Samsung Galaxy S II : Android 4.1.2 --- Sony Tablet S : Android 4.0.3 --- Hudl2 : Android 5.1
Felippe

Post by Felippe »

I'm new to offlinemaps, which I'm using to try to get topos of regions I want to hike and print them.

I'm having a hard time trying to get the correct scales for my silva compass. I can't set them straight 1:25,000 or 1:50,000. They are always weird numbers like 1:25,830 or so.

Is there a way to get the straight scales I need?

Thank you all in advance.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Psyberia-Support
Site Admin

Post by Psyberia-Support »

Hi,
The scale on the maps is just an approximated value. It depends on the zoom value, on your physical screen, and for most maps on the latitude you're looking at (the more you go to the North, the more you "zoom in", the more the map is detailed). You can get more information on the map scales on the website of the map you're using.
The application tries to display the exact scale you're using, in practice, you won't make the different between 1:25,000 and 1:25,830.
If you need to make measures, you should use the "Measure" tool in the app: press the screen center, select "Create a landmark" and select "Measure" in the "Tools" category.
Don't hesitate if you have more questions
Best regards
Do you like AlpineQuest ? Leave a small comment on Google Play !
Felippe

Post by Felippe »

Psyberia, thanks for the answer.

What I'm trying is to print the selected area so I can have an actual paper map of a desired location. It's kind of difficult (not to mention expensive) to get a topo map and the offline maps app comes in real handy. That's why I need the excat scale reference, you see.
Is there a for to get it the most precise and accurate possible?

Thanks in advance
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings